Sunday, December 11, 2011

My Night with Jay & Silent Bob Get Old‏ by Mike Gommert

(Bus Driver Note: The following review comes from Mike Gommert, a SIR fan from Vancouver. Mike recently attended the Jay & Silent Bob Get Old show at the Vogue on December 7th. Thanks for submitting your review, Mike. If you, yes you reading this now, want to submit your own review of a live SIR show send 'em my way at jmewesbusdriver@hotmail.com)


So let me start off by giving a bit of back-ground on myself. I live in the beautiful city of Vancouver. I moved out here in the spring of '88 from southern Ontario, Kingston to be exact. My experience with Kevin Smith & Jason Mewes goes back to the mid '94 when I first saw Clerks. I loved the movie from the first time I saw it. Over the years I figure that I have seen almost everything that Kevin has either directed or acted in. You could say I am a fan of Kevin's style of movies. My favorite movie that Kevin has made is Red State. On a side note I have seen Red State over 15 times now and get something new out of it ever-time I watch it. My second favorite movie is Jay & Silent Bob strike back. It is one funny movie and always leaves me laughing. Back in 2005 when Kevin was here in Vancouver, filming Catch & Release, I had a sort of encounter with him. It was the middle of summer and "Batman Begins" was just released in the Theaters. Well My wife and I were going to go see an afternoon showing of the movie in a downtown theater and as we were getting our pop-corn and hot-dogs I was looking around the lobby and who do I see it was none other than Kevin Smith in his trade mark Hockey Jersey & shirts. We didn't want to go up to him and bother him as we realized he was there for the same reason as us to see "The Bat".

Well over the years I have followed Kevin's career and when he and Jay started doing the pod-casts together I was instantly hooked. I have listened to pretty much all the pod-casts that featured Jay & Kevin together especially the Jay & Silent Bob Get Old ones. I have listened to every one of the 60 pod-casts that they have made over the last 2 plus years. I always thought how cool would it be to actually attend one of the "live" pod-casts and see Kev & Jay on stage. Well I got my opportunity this past September when they announced on the smodcast web-site that Kev & Jay would be coming to Vancouver to do "Jay & Silent Bob Get Old " at the Vogue theater on December 7th. I had missed seeing Red State just a month earlier here at the Vogue with Kev so I was determined not to miss this chance to see him & Jay. I was actually the first person in Vancouver to go to the Vogue to buy tickets when they went on sale. I guess the people at the Vogue saw how much of a fan I was as while I was there they ended up giving me the Red State Poster from the August show Kev did there. In between then and the show I was fortunate enough to call into Jay & Silent Bob Get Jobs & the Smoring Show and talk with Jay, Jordan, Megels, James and Alan both times on the air. How cool was that! Both times I invited Jay to come have a tour of the place I work, BC Place, when he would be in town for the December 7th show. Unfortunately when the week of the show came I got a tweet from Jordan saying that they would be booked solid up to the show time. Oh well such is life.

Well Wednesday finally rolled around and my wife and I made our way down to see the show. We got to the Vogue around 6:20 and the doors wouldn't be open until 7:30. Although it was rather chill out, hovering around the freezing mark, I'm glad we got there when we did as it allowed us to get in the 5th row to watch the show. Around 7:10 I took a walk just to see how long the line was and at that point it was roughly 2 city blocks long of fans waiting to see Jay & Kev. A guy in front of us in line told us he was there for the Red State screening back in August and that Kevin had done a 4 hour Q & A after the movie (Sounds like a typical thing for Kev) that was so cool. He also mentioned that during the Q & A Kev only took about 4 or 5 questions but that most of them took him around 40 plus minutes to answer, I was so envious. I won't go into a blow by blow of the show itself as I do believe that anyone who is a fan of Kev & Jay and is reading this right now will have already heard the pod-cast, which is available to down load at both smodcast.com and from iTunes. It's pod-cast 60. I'll just say that it was a very funny night and it was so cool to hear two of my favorite storytellers relay some of their experiences that have had here in Vancouver.

After the show was over I was hoping to get my Red State poster signed by Kev but that didn't happen as they left the theater as soon as they got off the stage. I also brought 4 posters from BC Place which I wanted to give to them. I sort of accomplished this task as when the show was done I went to the merchandise desk, to get my t-shirt and signed tour-poster of the show, and left the BC Place posters with the girl there to give to Jordan. I hope that the guys got them. If anyone who is reading this considers themselves to be a fan of Jay & Kev I would highly recommend that you go see them live as it was an awesome experience for us and I know it would be for you too.

No comments:

Post a Comment