Saturday, August 27, 2011

The S Files: Profiles of the SmodSquad - File 2: jerseygirlLolly


For File 2 the Bus Driver talks to JerseyGirlLolly. You might recall "Winnipeg" Mewes chatting it up with Lolly on the phone back on the July 8th episode of Jay (minus) Silent Bob Get Jobs. Both discussed their battles with addictions and their current sobriety. Today Lolly reveals how important that conversation with Jason really was and how his Mewesings continue to be an inspiration to her. With a son returning from the war and herself returning to school there's a lot keeping JerseyGirlLolly busy. However, she always finds time to listen to SIR and to retweet my posts. Thanks for you openness and honesty, Laura, and for pimpin' the Bus Stop over on Twitter.
JMewesBusDriver: Okay, some background info first. What's your real name? Where abouts are you located? What do you do for a living? Family?

jerseygirlLolly: My name is Laura Lee Watson but I go by Lolly. A nickname I had ever since I can remember. I live in South Jersey, 15 minutes from Philadelphia, Pa. I am a recovering addict and I'm starting a new Life. Right now I am unemployed but in October I will be going to school to become an Aesthetican (skin care). I have a 21 year old son who is a US Marine. He recently was medically discharged for severe leg problems. Was married for 20 years but we grew apart. My father passed away when I was 12 years old and that is when I turned to drugs and alcohol. Having my son is what saved me but relapsed later in life while going through my divorce and having had a couple of surgeries.

JMBD: Any hobbies, interests, special talents that are, you know, legal to mention?

jerseygirlLolly: My interests are skydiving, even though I only went oncenso far. Skin care, working out, traveling, tropical palm trees, even have a tattoo of one on my ankle. Music and funny movies (Clerks, Mallrats, Chasing Amy, basically Kevin Smith's movies)

JMBD: Speaking of Kevin's flicks, how did you discover his work?


jerseygirlLolly: I discovered Kevin and Jay when I saw the movie Clerks and found out they both are from New Jersey. Since then I had a secret bond with them.

JMBD: You have mentioned to me that Jay has been pretty important in your life in recent years? Why is this?



jerseygirlLolly: Jay is important to me because I can finally relate to someone that had a drug problem, lost a parent, went through a lot of crazy shit I went through and survived it all. Jay really is my inspiration, since learning about him through Mewesings and Jay and Silent Bob Gets Old, the way he speaks so openly about all his problems made it so I could finally open up about all of my problems, even the terrible one's I had blocked out.

JMBD: You mention Mewesings. For those who don't know, these are brief clips Jay films of himself usually during walks for coffee where he speaks of his current feelings in dealing with his addictions. I have seen your repeated requests on Twitter for more Mewesings. Obviously Jay's walk and talks are very meaningful for you.


jerseygirlLolly: Back in March, I was going through drug withdrawals and I came across Mewesings. I watched everyone of them over and over, then decided to check myself into rehab and have been sober ever since then. I still watch Mewesings everyday and I am so very, very thankful to Jay for it.

JMBD: It's great how Jay's openness is such an inspiration to his fans. Kevin deserves a lot of credit for getting Jay to open up. One of the things that has touched me so much in rediscovering Kevin since finding Smodcast earlier this year was just how strong and important his and Jason's friendship is. Prior I only really viewed them as the characters they played on screen because, honestly, that was the bulk of what I knew. Listening to the first six episodes of Jay and Silent Bob Get Old it became evident just what Kevin does to help Jay, how much he cares and how, as he has said, he credits the podcasts and appearances as possibly saving Jason's life. You get a huge feeling for their bond as friends outside of the characters they play. As an avid listener how do you view their relationship?
jerseygirlLolly: I find Kevin and Jay's brotherly friendship to be one in a million. It touches my heart so deeply, wishing that I had someone in my life like Kevin, for him to take Jay under his wing and go way out of his way for Jay is just Incredible. I also am very grateful to Kevin, for helping Jay due to the fact Jay helped me.

JMBD: Jay's helped you on a more direct level, too, if I recall, outside of the shows and Mewesing posts. You've mentioned you've chatted with Jason off and on. What are some of things you'd talk about?

jerseygirlLolly: I started Twittering with Jay when I got out of rehab. I opened up to him and he was so very supportive to me. We chatted about sobriety and ways to stay positive. Jay is sweet and caring to take time out of his busy schedule to help a complete stranger, just makes my heart swell and want to help other people out. In fact this past July 4th was the 27th anniversary of when my father passed away, I was home alone feeling so very depressed and thinking of popping some pills to take the feeling away, I was listening to Jay and Silent Bob Get Jobs, which was when Jay was in Canada with Jay West filming Todd and The Book of Pure Evil, I happened to call in, not thinking I would actually get through. But I did and chatted with Jay live on air. I didn't tell him about it being the 27th anniversary of my father's death and that I wanted to take some pills. I talked to him for awhile about sobriety and he was so helpful and caring, in fact he gave me his email and told me to write to him whenever I felt the need to. That totally changed the way I was feeling and from that point on, I knew I would be able to stay sober. I have chills right now as I'm writing this, remembering that day, Jay had saved me. Like I said before I am so very grateful for him and Kevin. I always will be.

JMBD: I remember listening to that show live as it aired. As I recall, Kevin called in shortly after to compliment Jay on his chat with you. I found it so uplifting to hear your story, how Jason was helping you and now, having read your reply, just how deep that moment was for you. I like to think there are others out there inspired by Jay's honesty. My grandfather was an alcoholic. I didn't realize this until later in life. It's so easy sometimes for society to sweep people addicted to drugs or drink away, diminish them as weak. Some have the notion that addicts should just, well, "stop" as though it were that simple. That said, having never been addicted to anything except maybe cherry flavored Pez when I was seven, I certainly cannot relate to the difficulties people go through to overcome their demons. Listening to Jason and yourself relate them so openly and honestly, though, helps me understand a little more. What are some of the things you do to keep yourself focused on remaining sober?

jerseygirlLolly: To stay focused I took Jay's advice and I surround myself with positive people, which are my family. I listen to Mewesings and Smodcast's Jay and Silent Bob Get Jobs, oh and I can't forget about listening to Seether.



JMBD: Oh yes, Seether. Thanks for getting me into them. Tell the world (and by world I mean, you know, the folks who visit this page) about the amazingness that is Seether!

jerseygirlLolly: What is so amazing about Seether? What isn't? Seether is a 3 piece band from South Africa, which consists of Shaun Morgan the lead singer and guitarist, Dale Stewart, the bassist and John Humphrey the drummer. Shaun Morgan writes his own music and lyrics. They are from his own personal experiences, not to mention his Incredible voice! Shaun also suffered from addiction, lost someone close to him and went through a horrible heart crushing relationship which he wrote a couple of songs about. When I was going through withdrawl and in rehab his songs also helped me get through it. I basically listen to only Seether, because of that. Shaun is another person I can relate to, just never had the privilege of talking to him.

JMBD: What's your favorite SIR show and why?

jerseygirlLolly: Jay and Silent Bob Get Jobs is my favorite SIR show because I love listening to Kevin and Jay talk so openly about life, and it makes the day a lot better. They are so damn funny together.

JMBD: I agree. I am asking this one of everybody. What character in Kev's films is most like you and why do you feel this way?

jerseygirlLolly: Wow, this is a tough one. I wanna say Jay except for the extreme horny side of Jay. I do act silly, while having fun and don't care what other people think of me. My family calls me Loopy because I get so silly.

JMBD: Finally, where do you see yourself in 5 years?

jerseygirlLolly: In five years, I see myself being five years and 7 months sober, helping other recovering addicts, just like Jay did for me. Ooh and hopefully having a couple of grand kids!

Thanks again, Laura. This tune's for you. 

2 comments: