Saturday, August 20, 2011

JMewesBusDriver interviews Martin Laksman, Case-Mate contest winner


Launched in 2006, Case-mate has since become a multi-million dollar company all based around the idea that the look of your phone sucks, you oughta’ change that. You know, Case-mate, where were you back in grade nine when Heather Young told me my new rotary dial phone color of choice was not up to her personal standards? Fuck you, Heather, I happened to like beige! Alright, sure you married Rick Jackson and, yeah, so fucking what he just happened to be a lawyer and, big deal, you have three cars and a four story house and you can shit money and use that shit money to whip the remainder shit money residue off your probably still perfect ass but, honestly Heather, are you happy? Ohhh, of course you’re not. I can see it in your face from the bushes when I watch you get in the car to cart the kids off to school in the morning. I see behind that smile on your face to the shattered woman underneath. Well, you know who IS happy, Heather? Three guesses. Me, me and me again. You wanna’ know why, Heather? Because I got me a beige phone and that’s all I’m ever going to need. So you can keep your money, home, cars, good sex and whatever the hell that gold looking thing is on you and Rick’s dresser because me, my binoculars, my beige phone and happiness…we’re going places.

Ummm…so, yeah, Case-mate! Case-mate works with artists to design snazzy covers for your phones and tablets. Back in July they launched a contest  partnering up with Kevin Smith and Jason Mewes. Fans were asked to design an original case based around Jay and his hetero life-mate Silent Bob. Over 250 were submitted. There were Batman designs, hockey themes, Jay and Bob as zombies and this messed up one with Jay as a centaur.  But, as Sean Connery taught us, there can be only one.

The top ten designs were voted on by fans on Facebook and submitted to Kevin and Jay for judging. The winning design, Snoogans, was done up by Martin Laksman, an artist based out of Argentina. The Bus Driver, after clearing up to Mr. Laksman that he wasn’t THE Jason Mewes, forwarded off some questions for the contest winner and not only did Martin reply but he hit me up with a snazzy design for the Bus Stop as seen above. Ya’ see, Heather, goooooing places!

JMewesBusDriver: Tell me a bit about yourself. Where you live, background, etc. 

Martin Laksman: Well, I live in Buenos Aires, Argentina. I studied graphic design, worked in Italy for a while and since 2005 I have my own design studio here called Dogo.

JMBD: When did you start drawing and/or working with graphics? Has that always been an interest?

ML: I recently saw a video of a Spanish illustrator that says that when he was asked this question, he answered: “Me? When did i start? When did you stop drawing?” Me, like we all, started drawing when I was a little kid, but never stopped.

JMBD: You have mentioned to me that you are a big fan of Kevin's work. How did you discover it?

ML: I think I saw Mallrats first on video and I liked it right away. The things that he talks about in his movies are the same that I like so it was an instant like for me.

JMBD: Where did you hear about the Casemate contest?

ML: I saw Kevin's post in Facebook and then entered Case-Mate's page.

JMBD: What was your thought and work process in designing the cover? Did it just come out in a rush? 

ML: The pose, i think is the one I have impregnated in my head... both of them, just lying around, like in Clerks, outside the shop. And well, that's kind of the style I like to draw, more iconic-basic shapes style. I did small changes here and there, tested a different arm position maybe, but the basic layout was like that since sketch one.

JMBD: How was the image created: computer? Drawing it out?

ML: All vectorized in the computer.

JMBD: Tell me a bit about the design itself. What struck you to create this image? Were there alternate designs?

ML: It's been always that design, it was one of those times that you start knowing what you want to do and end up actually doing it. In design is not that easy to accomplish.

JMBD: How does it feel to be chosen as a winner in such a tough contest with so many great entries? 

ML: It's really great. There were a lot and really good entries. The one of the zombies, eat brain, for example, was really cool.

JMBD: So, you think if you ever see somebody out there sporting your design on their phone that you would walk up and say: "Hey, I did that."

ML: It's something I always wanted to do, I came across once or twice with people wearing my designs on t-shirts and I always think that I will say that but somehow I just think about it and never actually do it.

JMBD: Out of all of Kevin's movies which character to feel you are most like and why?

ML: I really like Banky Edwards, I don't think I see myself in him, but it's a really cool character that I enjoy on watching.

Obviously Mr. Laksman is no tracer! Congrats Martin and thanks again for the design. It was time for me to leave beige, I’ve decided, and yellow is way to go. You know, if you squint it’s kinda’ almost beige. But don’t think I’m doing it for you, Heather. I’m doing this for me, Case-mate and, ummm, Jesus!

No comments:

Post a Comment