Sunday, August 21, 2011

The S Files: Profiles of the SmodSquad - File 1: Fitzman73

Welcome to the first in a series (you know, if people keep talking to me) here at the Bus Stop called the S-Files: Profiles of the SmodSquad where the Bus Driver digs deeper into just who really are the listeners of SIR. Here we hope to discover a little more about Kevin Smith's and SIR's fan base and put a name (and image) behind the tweets and forum posts. Feel free to drop me a line if you'd like to be profiled for future S-Files.

Today we profile @fitzman73, a much recognized name if you are following Kev's Twitter page as well as the pages to various SIR shows. In his over 6,000 tweets Fitzman has provided news stories, movie quotes, information for SIR hosts as well as snappy repartee and, get this, he gets to do it all from WORK! Lucky bastard!

Okay, Fitzy, you're poppin' the S-Files cherry. Better make it good!

JMewesBus Driver: Is Scott your actual name?

fitzman73: Yes.  It's actually my middle name, but it's what I go by.  My dad and I share the same name so he goes by Bob, I go by Scott.

JMBD: Where city/country/state etc. do you live in?

fitzman73: St. Louis, Missouri (USA)

JMBD: Age?

fitzman73: 37 (yes, in a row, at least until October)

JMBD: What's your occupation? As I recall, you once said you listen to SIR at work. How do you get away with that?

fitzman73: I'm a computer programmer/systems analyst (heh, heh, anal-yst).  I spend a lot of time alone in a cubicle staring at a computer, so I've constantly got earbuds in.  Before SIR I would listen to music the same way.  Despite how much I tweet during the live shows, I don't listen 100% of the time.  Only about 75% max.

JMBD: Tell me more about yourself. Got a family? What are your hobbies?

fitzman73: Yes, I've been married 8 years and have a 3 year old son who is just starting to get into fun stuff like Batman.  As far as hobbies go...typical stuff.  Comics, movies, Star Wars, gaming, the usual with some sports thrown in.  Between work and a currently high maintenance 3 year old there's not much time or energy to actually engage in any of that though.  Keeping up with the happenings in and around SIR is about all I can manage at the moment, only because it doesn't require a lot of active participation, concentration or physical exertion.  

JMBD: How did you first discover Kevin's work either via his films or, if new to his output, the online stuff? What made you a fan from that point? 

fitzman73:  It's probably a story he's heard a million times since Clerks, but when that movie came out I WAS a Clerk at Blockbuster video.  Early 20s street hockey playing (goalie in fact), comic book reading Star Wars geek.  I rented it after work one night probably the first week we had it and watched it at least two times back to back.  It wasn't EXACTLY like my life, but it was similar enough that I latched on to it in a big bad way.  Been hooked ever since.

JMBD: Obviously, counting your daily tweets to the shows, to Kev and such, you are an avid listener. What keeps you coming back to SIR?

fitzman73: It's fun listening to funny people just sit around and bullshit.  Everybody on the Smod label is so open and honest about their lives, that's what makes it so interesting.  So I've always liked all the pods, and now with the addition of the live shows there's that extra element of real-time interactivity.  Before, I would listen to a podcast and tweet my questions/reactions as if I was part of the conversation (demented and sad, I know) but now sometimes I actually AM part of the conversation.  Or at least I get to hear the occasional reaction to something I've said.  It makes me feel like I'm part of it.  I do however tweet at these poor people more than should be allowed by law.  Hopefully they don't get too annoyed. 


JMBD: What's your favorite show on SIR and why?

fitzman73: Tell 'Em Steve-Dave.  There's just something really familiar about listening to a group of guys sit around and absolutely destroy each other.  Being negative and busting balls is something my family excels at.  If we poke fun at you it's because we like you, if we make jokes of personal shortcoming or horrible tragedies it's because that's how we cope with that kind of shit and that's the vibe I get from TESD. Plus I tend to identify with some of Bryan Johnson's personality flaws.


JMBD: If you were to cast yourself in one of Kev's films who would you be and why would that character best represent you?

fitzman73: Probably Dante, because in general I would rather shit my pants than inconvenience anyone.

JMBD: If you were able to have your own show on the SIR Network what would the concept be? What topics would be covered?

fitzman73: First of all I doubt that I'd ever have a podcast.  I hate the sound of my own voice.  But if I did I think it would be fun to do a Peephole History type podcast where random hosts/guests would just reminisce about their youth, high school, etc.  It could be called  SmodTub Time Machine. 

JMBD: You've asked Kevin a few questions I've read. If you only had one on air question to ask that would have a guaranteed answer what would it be?

fitzman73: What is best in life?  No wait, he answers that one constantly.  I can't really think of anything world shattering that I'd want answered.  Probably something ridiculously selfish and inane like "Why haven't any of your live shows made it to St. Louis?"  Then again, might not want the answer to that.

JMBD: I notice your avatar is a goalie. What would be your NHL dream team of past and present players?


fitzman73: A no win question.  Too many great players to choose from.  So like James Kirk I will cheat.  I will give you a dream team made up of only former St. Louis Blues players.  Oddly (or perhaps not) my list is going to look a lot like the roster I grew up watching. 

Center     - Bernie Federko
Left Wing  - Brian Sutter
Right Wing - Brett Hull
Defenseman - Al MacInnis
Defenseman - Barclay Plager
Goaltender - Mike Liut (Glen Hall a close second)

JMBD: Can anything kill the Grimace?

fitzman73: Everyone knows the Grimace is an advanced cybernetic organism sent back from the future by Skynet to make sure John Connor is never born thus assuring the extinction of mankind at the hands of their mechanical overlords.  So no, short of Sarah Connor (or another Grimace), NOBODY can kill the Grimace.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment